Royal Sembahulun Story
My name is Royal Sembahulun. I am the owner of Lombok Green Nature. I am working in tour and travel business, beside that I am an activator who active in campaigning of environment issue, social and economy in West Nusa Tenggara since 2004. In 2014, I joined in Nature Adorer Organization that focuses on environment conservation. In 2006, I was pointed/chosen as the secretary of the Organization. On the way, I started to think of combining environmental sector and tourism. Firstly, I went along in tourism as a tour guide and most of doing trekking to Rinjani. This is the beginning of me to know tourism industry and it benefit to change the society’s social and economic.
In 2008, I started to make a big movement by making an Organization named Sembalun.
Community Development Center with some youths of Sembalun. I am the director of the Organization since it built till now on. We focus on Environment, social, economic, and non-formal education for the locals. We started doing volunteering and increasing some skills for the locals. One of the basic is Free English Course that taught by volunteer in supporting tourism development in Sembalun and West Nusa Tenggara.
In 2010, I struggled for the right of the labors in Mount Rinjani to get a proper treatment from some tour operators who use their service. Act of caring focused on increasing the pay and limitation the weight of good that carried by porters. I got some appreciates of developing tourism relate to my activities as an activator of tourism. In 2015, I got appreciate from the governor of West Nusa Tenggara as a good activator of tourism. Then, in 2018 I got an appreciation from Tourism Ministry of Indonesian Republic, category “appreciation for activator of local business in Home stay sector”. I aware that most businessmen who exploited this nature still far away from sustainable concept and appear more trouble to environment sustainability.
Developing tourism will increase the economic for the locals and change the social class by creating new field of work that can decrease the poverty rate. But it’s not parallel with environment sustainability such as rubbish in tourism objects that most visited. So, everybody who works in this industry (tour and travel) have to understand how to maintain the environment aimed to sustainable tourism. These are my reasons why I have to change my company name from Royal Rinjani Tour became Lombok Green Nature.
What I have done ?
- Campaign the environment conservations.
- Motivate and build tourism sector as an alternative to increase the local income.
- Organized Free English Course for kids (student), youths, and porters who want to be a guide and we work with an NGO called Fourth World Love from US and running volunteering (natives) program and a local teacher who teach in Sembalun Community Development Center (SCDC).
- Organized some training to increase the skills of Porters, guides and Tour Operators
- Fight for the right of labors (Porter and Guide).
- Motivate the local to organize the objects around them basically culture and local wisdom.
- Working together with Google Pacific to explore some tourism destinations around Lombok and gave training of how to use Google Business.
- Doing eco-tourism and campaigning organic farming to create sustainable farming and produce the healthy product.